We'll contact schools in Taiwan for you as soon as we receive your complete application. As for how long it takes for us to firm up a position for you, it depends on a number of factors: how flexible you are about locations and schools and when the school semester begins. It takes less time if you are flexible about locations and schools, and if the start of the school semester is close by.


Before we contact a particular school for you, we'll let you know the specifics. It is only with your go-ahead that we'll contact the school. If the school accepts you, we would expect you to accept its offer. Sometimes, we would contact a school before we let you know the details due to time consideration or other factors. In that event, you are not obligated to accept its offer if you are accepted.



Please make sure that it is your final decision. After you give the hiring school your affirmative word, the school will decline the applications of other candidates and apply to the government for visa paperwork for you. This process is formality only, but very elaborate because several government departments are involved. The worst thing that can happen is for the school to go through this elaborate process only to find that you have changed your mind. In some cases, the position is considered filled by the government after it issues the visa paperwork even though the teacher later decided not to come for any reason. When this happens, you will leave the school in a devastating shape because the government will not issue more visa paperwork to the school for that semester at least. We cannot emphasize enough that you must treat your acceptance seriously.



Once an offer is made and you accepted, you will be usually, but not always, asked to submit the following documents so that the hiring school can prepare paperwork for you to apply for a visa:


Two reference letters.

A signed contract



A work visa, officially known as Alien Resident Certificate, is required for legal employment in Taiwan, which is only issued to citizens of US, UK, Canada, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland and South Africa. Taiwan does not have diplomatic relations with any of these countries and the visa approval is handled by Taiwan Economic and Culture Offices. This is an elaborate process that can take up to two months. For this reason, a lot of schools in Taiwan ask the teachers to arrive under a tourist visa to be adjusted to a work visa after arrival. You do not need any paperwork from the school in order to apply a Visitor's Visa. For detailed consular information on visa offices, passports, visas, documents and custom regulations, please visit




As part of the visa approval process, the government of Taiwan requires that the hiring school submit a health certificate of the teacher to be hired. The government further requires that the physical exam be conducted at a government-approved hospital in Taiwan. This is another reason that most schools ask the teacher to arrive under a tourist visa first.




You need two for visa application and possibly six for your school.



You should bring as many medical supplies as you feel you'll need (for burns, rashes, colds, flu, eyes, teeth, etc.). Being so far away from family and your physician, it is a comfort to have familiar products on hand. 


Teaching supplies:

Plan ahead (especially books and teaching materials) and bring the supplies with you as best you can and use them wisely. You do not need to bring multiple copies of the same material, as all the schools have duplicating facilities. Also, it is nice for both the students and you to bring some items/decorations for your home country holidays.  The students find them interesting and the decorations will help you cope with being away from home for the holidays.


Packing and shipping

Pack what only is necessary and people usually would give away the majority of their clothing and linens upon their return.


Electric appliances:

If you can find an appliance with dual voltage - BUY IT!  China uses 220 V. With so many power surges, transformers don't always protect your appliance. If you bring your laptop computer with you, it is important that you never plug it directly into the outlet. Use batteries instead.


Dress code:

Business casual is the name of the game. Never wear jeans and sneakers when you teach in the classroom. You should bring one or two formal attires as there will be formal occasions. Also it is important for you to be formally dressed when you meet school officials for the first time. Appearance does make a difference in China.



Bring items that you often need for cooking, such as:  vanilla extract, spices, etc.  Also pack special snacks that you enjoy.  Pack enough to last for three to four months.



Some comfortable, well made walking shoes. Many people can not buy clothes of ANY kind because most Chinese are much smaller than most Westerners. So, taking everything you need is  a must.  It's very expensive to ship by air and surface shipping  takes about 3 months.



a bicycle light; join a book club or subscribe to a magazine in your home country before you leave in order to have new reading selections every month



Mosquito repellant, wash  n' wipes, mouthwash, dental floss.


Here is another what-to-bring list suggested by an American teacher. There are overlaps with the above:



two pairs of long underwear; warm winter jacket; lighter weight jacket; comfortable walking shoes; warm socks, gloves and wool hat; casual clothes-jeans, T-shirts, flannel shirts, fleece for teaching; one dress outfit for each season; shorts, 2 pr., cool clothes for hot weather.


Teaching supplies:

Index cards are very useful; colored construction paper; post-it notes; highlighters, magic markers; glue sticks; battery-operated pencil sharpener; correction fluid; scotch tape; good dictionary; EFL activity Books; good English-Chinese dictionary; English songs to teach the students.


Household Supplies:

stain sticks; rubber gloves; comet cleaner; can opener; If you cook a hand-mixer is useful; cookbook spices you like; western sheets queen-size, pillow you like.



short-wave radio; word-processor or lap-top (China-net hook-up is available); aspirin, cold medicine, etc.; vitamins; chap stick; cosmetics you use; hairspray, hair gel, etc.; power converters- China is 220v; batteries, AA; clock; flashlight; good skin creams; videos.



If you are provided with airfare, in most cases you will be asked to purchase a ticket on your own to be reimbursed, often at the end of your contract. We have good working relationships with a number of consolidators in the U.S. that specialize in flights to China. When the occasion arises that you need to purchase a ticket, we suggest that you check with your travel agent first to obtain a quote and let us know. We can usually obtain a cheaper rate for the same flight.



U.S. consular officers, both in the State Department in D.C. and in China have compiled a pamphlet termed "Tips for Travelers to the People's Republic of China" to assist travelers to China. It is also called Department of State Publication 10271, Bureau of Consular Affairs and it is available at It has the following sections: About China, Consular Information Program, Entry and Other Visa Requirements, While You Are in China, Customs Regulations, Crime, Currency Regulations, Legal Matters, Dual Nationality, Passport Confiscation and Business Disputes, Adoptions, Health, Travel Arrangement Within China, Restricted Areas, Travel to Tibet, Travel on the Trans-Siberian Express, Chinese Embassy and Consulates in the U.S. and U.S. Embassy and Consulates in China.


According to the above pamphlet, immunizations are recommended for hepatitis B and Japanese B encephalitis. (Immunization for Japanese B encephalitis is only recommended during the epidemic summer months for visitors planning to stay longer than two or three weeks in rural areas.) An immune globulin shot may offer protection against hepatitis A. Malaria occurs in China, particularly in rural areas and in southern China. Depending on the season and your destination, you may need to take antimalarial drugs, use insect repellant, and take other measures to reduce contact with mosquitoes.


The New York Hospital recommends the following 4 shots for China:


hepatitis A



polio booster


(if you've never had measles you'd need that too)


The phone number for the hospital is 212-746-5454. Ask for the international health department. The clinic is at 440 East 69th Street, ground floor.




The US-China Educational Exchange serves as an intermediary between the applicant and the hiring school, but we do not make any decisions for either party. The contract is signed between the the applicant and the hiring school. For this reason, we are to be released from any claim, legal or otherwise, by the applicant and the hiring school.