FAQ's on Teaching in Taiwan

Q: Do you charge a fee for your service?

A: We do not charge a fee for finding you a teaching position except for 1) short-teaching positions such as a summer job and 2) specific requests that require extra legwork. In these two cases, our fee is $50, which is totally refundable should we fail to meet your requirements.

Q: Am I obligated to meet my commitment after I accept an offer?

A: Absolutely. When you accept an offer, please make sure that it is your final decision. After you give the hiring school your affirmative word, the school will decline the applications of other candidates and apply to the government for visa paperwork for you. This process is formality only, but very elaborate because several government departments are involved. The worst thing that can happen is for the school to go through this elaborate process only to find that you have changed your mind. In some cases, the position is considered filled by the government after it issues the visa paperwork even though the teacher later decided not to come for any reason. When this happens, you will leave the school in a devastating shape because the government will not issue more visa paperwork to the school for that semester at least. We cannot emphasize enough that you must treat your acceptance seriously.

Q: What is the course of action after I’m accepted?

A: Once an offer is made and you accepted, you will be usually, but not always, asked to submit the following documents so that the hiring school can prepare paperwork for you to apply for a visa:

If you are only going to teach a summer program, there is usually no contract for you to sign.

Q: What is the visa application process?

A: A Resident Visa is required for legal employment in Taiwan. You can apply for a Resident Visa at a Taiwan Economic and Culture Office in your country before you arrive. This is an elaborate process because the hiring school needs to apply to the government for your visa approval first. If there is not enough time, the hiring school may request that you apply for a Visitor's Visa first. It will help adjust your visa status after you arrive. You do not need any paperwork from the school in order to apply a Visitor's Visa. For detailed consular information on visa offices, passports, visas, documents and custom regulations, please visit http://www.taipei.org/newpage/a-srvs2.htm.

Q: Do I need a physical before I apply for a visa?

A: Yes, if you apply for a Resident Visa, but no if you apply for a Visitor's Visa.

Q: Can you assist me with getting a cheaper airfare?

A: Definitely. If you are provided with airfare, in most cases you will be asked to purchase a ticket on your own to be reimbursed, often at the end of your contract. We have good working relationships with a number of consolidators in the U.S. that specialize in flights to China/Taiwan. When the occasion arises that you need to purchase a ticket, we suggest that you check with your travel agent first to obtain a quote and let us know. We can usually obtain a cheaper rate for the same flight. As a matter of fact, most of the candidates with our program booked their tickets through our source.

U.S. consular officers, both in the State Department in D.C. and in China have compiled a pamphlet termed  It has the following sections: About China, Consular Information Program, Entry and Other Visa Requirements, While You Are in China, Customs Regulations, Crime, Currency Regulations, Legal Matters, Dual Nationality, Passport Confiscation and Business Disputes, Adoptions, Health, Travel Arrangement Within China, Restricted Areas, Travel to Tibet, Travel on the Trans-Siberian Express, Chinese Embassy and Consulates in the U.S. and U.S. Embassy and Consulates in China.

Q: What kinds of immunizations do I need to get before I arrive?

A: According to the pamphlet by the U.S. State Department called "Tips for Travelers to the People's Republic of China" (it is also called Department of State Publication 10271, Bureau of Consular Affairs and it is available at http://travel.state.gov/tips_china.html), you do not need any shot for traveling to China, but if you want to be extra cautious, you should consult with your physician. New York Hospital has an International Health Department for travelers who might need inoculations. They recommended people have 4 shots for China:

hepatitis A
polio booster

(if you've never had measles you'd need that too)

If you are interested, you can call them to set up an appointment. The phone number is 212-746-5454. Ask for the international health department. The clinic is located at 440 East 69th Street, ground floor.

Q: How should I prepare myself logistically?

A: You should prepare or bring the following (many ideas were suggested by teachers who have taught in China):

You need two for visa application and possible six for your school.

You should bring as many medical supplies as you feel you'll need (for burns, rashes, colds, flu, eyes, teeth, etc.). Being so far away from family and your physician, it is a comfort to have familiar products on hand.

Teaching supplies:
Plan ahead (especially books and teaching materials) and bring the supplies with you as best you can and use them wisely. You do not need to bring multiple copies of the same material, as all the schools have duplicating facilities. Also, it is nice for both the students and you to bring some items/decorations for your home country holidays.  The students find them interesting and the decorations will help you cope with being away from home for the holidays.

Packing and shipping:
Pack what only is necessary and people usually would give away the majority of their clothing and linens upon their return.

Electric appliances:

If you can find an appliance with dual voltage - BUY IT!  China uses 220 V. With so many power surges, transformers don't always protect your appliance. If you bring your laptop computer with you, it is important that you never plug it directly into the outlet. Use batteries instead.

Dress code:
Unless there is a specific requirement from your school, business casual is the way to go. Never wear jeans and sneakers when you teach in the classroom. You should bring one or two formal attires, as there will be formal occasions. Also it is important for you to be formally dressed when you meet school officials for the first time. Appearance does make a difference in China or Taiwan.

Bring items that you often need for cooking, such as:  vanilla extract, spices, etc.  Also pack special snacks that you enjoy.  Pack enough to last for three to four months.

Some comfortable, well-made walking shoes. Many people cannot buy clothes of any kind because most Chinese are much smaller than most Westerners. So, taking everything you need is a must.  It's very expensive to ship by air and surface shipping  takes about 3 months.

A bicycle light; join a book club or subscribe to a magazine in your home country before you leave in order to have new reading selections every month.

Mosquito repellant, wash  n' wipes, mouthwash, dental floss.

Here is another what-to-bring list suggested by an American teacher. There are overlaps with the above:

Two pairs of long underwear; warm winter jacket; lighter weight jacket; comfortable walking shoes; warm socks, gloves and wool hat; casual clothes-jeans, T-shirts, flannel shirts, fleece for teaching; one dress outfit for each season; shorts, 2 pr., cool clothes for hot weather.

Teaching supplies:
Index cards are very useful; colored construction paper; post-it notes; highlighters, magic markers; glue sticks; battery-operated pencil sharpener; correction fluid; scotch tape; good dictionary; EFL activity Books; good English-Chinese dictionary; English songs to teach the students.

Household Supplies:
Stain sticks; rubber gloves; comet cleaner; can opener; If you cook a hand-mixer is useful; cookbook spices you like; western sheets queen-size, pillow you like.

Short-wave radio; aspirin, cold medicine, etc.; vitamins; chap stick; cosmetics you use; hairspray, hair gel, etc.; power converters- China is 220v; batteries, AA; clock; flashlight; good skin creams; videos.

Q: Do I need to give gifts? If I do, what kind of gifts should give to people?

A: Generally, you don’t need to give presents to anyone, but if you do, it will be appreciated. There are occasions when a token of thanks seems to be in order, such as when you are picked up at the airport or invited to someone’s house for dinner. Whatever presents you would give to people on similar occasions at home will be just as appropriate in China/Taiwan. Some of the presents that people have brought with them include a photo book about the U.S. (or your country), a bottle of wine, a Swiss knife, a stamp book, a metal lighter, an electric shaver, a music CD, a Walkman. Whatever you bring, please make sure that it must be made in the U.S. (or your country), not made in China or Taiwan. It is better for you to bring something that can tell something about the U.S. (or your country).

back to Teach in China/Taiwan

Iqoption http://iqoption.net/binary-options/ binary-options